A VIEW OF THE WORLD THROUGH MY CAMERA LENS

Evolution

While still planning my next shoot for the small project I started trough my previous blog,”Nature’s Patterns”, I had to keep me busy, and decided to go back to some previous ideas I have played with. Further inspired by some documentary I had fallen asleep watching few nights back, I had to give me some good hours of photography to come up with something to be able to put this idea on images.

Being a big fan of evolution rather than creationism, trough the photos bellow I have tried to capture evolution in a simple, basic yet very expressive, colorful and more artistic way.

About these ads

8 responses

1. The video was so interesting and now I understand your pictures!

February 27, 2012 at 18:46

2. Andrei Stavilă

Yep, I would also want to know more about the process of creation… How did you shoot them?

February 26, 2012 at 11:04

3. Those photos are gorgeous. How did you shoot them?

February 26, 2012 at 07:04

• Ok…how I did it..!!!… I mixed just a little bit of gelatin in some water to thicken it just a little . Then I used a small battery powered coffee mixer to stir it up to get those tiny air bubbles that give that murkiness all around. Then I started working on arranging drops of oil with a pipette on the surface. That wasn’t as easy as it sounds :):):) This oil is very tricky stuff. Colors are, of course, a bunch of colored pencils place underneath the glass oven tray I used. I don’t actually own a micro lens so I used a Minolta AF 28-80 Zoom Xi lens with a Camray Macro +10 filter. Cranked the ISO up to 600 and shutter speed at 1/1250 with f11 and with a bit of additional lighting got this result. I ventured in playing around a bit more with this mixture of elements and I will publish the resulting images in a new post that most probably will be called “Universe”

February 26, 2012 at 13:12

• Fantastic. Thank you for the detailed response. I never thought of doing that–deliberately making something to make an image I am thinking of. I tend to use my camera to record what I see more than anything. I don’t even do photoshop, but that’s largely because I no longer own a copy–I went to Mac and couldn’t afford to replace the Photoshop 7 that I owned..

I haven’t made up my mind about these HD photos with where you bracket the exposures and take the sky from one and pair it with the foreground from another. The “blown out sky” effect always drove me nuts, but the resulting images from this kind of manipulation are starting to look more unreal, and painterly. I would like to be able to do it, but try to keep it more realistic. I just need the software–unfortunately, at this time, it’s too expensive, and I don’t have the technical knowledge either.

Anyway, fantastic images, thank you for the explanation. I guess I need to start playing a bit more, rather than just going out and looking to make the best image I can find.

February 27, 2012 at 02:03

• You have some amazing photos too. It is a talent to see and capture the best shot out there . It probably just as hard and valuable as creating a shot, if not even more. I tried some HDR also, but I quickly gave up. There are filters out there that can help do a great job with the sky. I try to do my editing in the Image Data Converter as I shoot mostly in RAW lately and try to stay away from Photoshop as much as I can also. Anyway…I really like your blog. Keep it up, you are doing a great job.

February 27, 2012 at 02:49

• Thanks so much, I appreciate that, especially coming from a photographer like yourself. :)

I really just need an ND filter to deal with the blown-out sky issues. Galen Rowell had some that he showed us, they’re essentially large glass ND rectangular filters, which you can shift up and down to match wherever the horizon is. They are made by Singh-Ray. It is just one more thing on my photo “wish list”, including a newer Canon (I have the original 10D) and a Really Right Stuff quick-release catch for my tripod.

Here are the ND filters: http://www.singh-ray.com/grndgrads.html Good stuff. They also have reverse-graduated ND filters that would be perfect for Hawaii. Someday!!

Have a great week!

February 27, 2012 at 03:47

4. thats cool, and funny how you find certain people and things at certain times of your life, while I am on a search between evolution and creation…;-)

February 26, 2012 at 02:34